“unspoken_series” is a site-responsive public performance, the artist uses text spelled out with LEDs on the backs of orange safety vests as a means of communication not an authority. The performance happens in public spaces like subway, social scenes like gallery openings where public etiquette filters out individual feelings and interaction. The texts subtly provoke the private space between individuals, for example “ I want to fart, make me happy!” brings strangers together from sharing giggles to even conversations. Hoyun uses the technology as a mediator to connect an individual to an individual in public.
ThemesCommunity-based Art project Contemporary Relationship Diversity of Culture Edible Weed empathy as communication tool Food in Art food in performance Healthy Eating Layers of Communication participatory performance Performance in everyday life Personal Space in Public public performance race Technology and Communication unbalanced power
- I will be followed as part of Map of the Heart, ChicagoI’ve been lived in Chicago a bit over 10 years, a place I live in the longest time in my life, and spend most of my adult life. Unlike other cities I did this piece, Chicago is a big part of me. So I decided that I should be included in Map of the Heart, [...]
- Michelle and Mathew’s evening (AKA Red Rum & Sanjula Vamana)
- City of Chicago! Let Art resides in Public instead of Advertisement!In search of public venue for “Map of the Heart, Chicago”! This place would be a perfect spot for the interactive installation portion of the project interfaced through touch-screen, right in the heart of downtown where both the Chicagoans and tourists come across! I envision the installation to be here for a month or two [...]
- Mary Ann’s Day (Reading Specialist in Chicago Public School)8:10am Meeting @ Main office of Henry School 8:25am @ Office 8:45-8:59am @ a 6th grad classroom, talking to a teacher who used to be a Science Specialist, getting laptops for later of the day 9:10am Back to office 9:25am A meeting with principal, Bilingual Specialist, and the previous Science Specialist 9:36am Few talks with the [...]
- JoJo Baby’s NightJoJo Baby, 40, Yippies, I can draw, Club Personality, Artist, Doll maker, Hair Dresser JoJo Baby has many hats and many faces, many of us may have but he has more than usual. As supplement of initial day of following him, I followed him again on 12/2/11 night, his preparation and hosting “Jojo Baby in [...]
- I will be followed as part of Map of the Heart, Chicago